What We Believe
"Inspired by no earthly ambition the Church seeks but a solitary goal: to carry forward the work of Christ Himself under the lead of the befriending Spirit. And Christ entered this world to give witness to the truth, to rescue and not sit in judgment, to serve and not be served." Gaudium et Spes
The Catholic Church in the Diocese of Raleigh is:
- A community of faith, which needs to be nourished by the Word of God;
- A community of grace, in which the Eucharistic sacrifice is celebrated, the sacraments are administered and prayer is offered unceasingly to God;
- A community of charity, both spiritual and material, which flows forth from the Eucharist;
- A community of missionary service, in which all are called to spread their gifts and the inexhaustible riches of Christ.
As members of the Church, we believe:
- That God the Father loves us unconditionally and wills that all persons be saved;
- That through His death and resurrection, Jesus Christ His Son has redeemed us and through Baptism makes us mystically into His own Body;
- That by water and the Holy Spirit we are united and established as the People of God, a "chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people set apart";
- That the Apostles are the foundation of the Church of Christ. They guarantee fidelity to Christ, teach with authority, guide the community and safeguard its unity;
- That the Church preserves and hands on, whole and entire, the deposit of faith received through the Apostles from Christ Himself;
- That through the visible Church, Christ is present in the midst of His people, continuing His mission and pouring out His Spirit on the faithful;
- that the essential marks of the Church reveal it as a Trinitarian mystery of communion, a Church of life, of charity, of forgiveness, of truth and service;
- that love and the Spirit join us to the Church Universal, our Holy Father, the Bishops and all persons who seek to do God’s will;
- That the Church’s mission is to proclaim and spread the Kingdom of God in word and service so that all may believe in Christ and come to eternal life;
- That membership in the Body of Christ calls us to be a prophetic, priestly, serving people.
We believe that we become:
- A prophetic people, by proclaiming the Good News of Jesus Christ with hope and joy to persons of all ages, ethnic, racial and social backgrounds and faith experiences;
- A priestly people, who build up the Body of Christ by celebrating the Eucharist, creating a community of solidarity and support where all are welcome and no one is unwanted;
- A serving people, by seeking to bring peace, healing and justice to our communities where we minister with love, generosity and compassion to all, especially the less fortunate.
The Staff of the Catholic Center, the parishes, deaneries, vicariates, departments and agencies of the Diocese of Raleigh pledge that we will:
- Serve Catholic parishes, schools, institutions, and ministries so that they may effectively carry out their missions;
- Strive to meet the needs of all the People of God, laity, Religious and clergy, so that they may faithfully live their vocations;
- Develop resources, provide training, planning , and consultation where and when needed;
- To support the continued growth of strong faith communities;
- To encourage the development of Church leadership -- lay, ordained and Religious;
- To eradicate the causes of division and polarization;
- To advocate the worth and dignity of the human person at all stages of life;
- To promote greater social justice in the cause of peace;
- To collaborate with our Catholic brothers and sisters, all believers, and all people of good will everywhere who seek to bring about God's Kingdom here on earth.