Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic School
Reporting and accountable to the Pastor of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church, the Principal shall foster a learning environment that ensures the formation of the children intellectually, spiritually and morally in a traditional Catholic environment. In consultation with the Pastor, the Principal shall be responsible for the overall operation of the school facility and programs, advisement of the parish finance committee in all matters related to the school.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Principal shall:
- Advance the mission of the school which “…provides a strong academic Catholic education that is based on the life and teaching of Jesus Christ”.
- Be the spiritual leader of the school and shall do this by articulating the school’s Catholic mission in all activities.
- In collaboration with the Pastor, guide and instruct teachers to provide the spiritual atmosphere inherent in a traditional Catholic educational environment.
- Develop and promote policies and academic programs to strengthen the school as a Catholic faith communion.
- Ensure that the school schedule allows for regular Mass and Confessions.
- Integrate the school into the life of the parish.
- Ensure that students and teachers attend scheduled prayers, for example morning prayer and Angelus, throughout the school day.
- Provide a minimum of one day per year for the staff spiritual growth activity.
The Principal shall:
- Provide an atmosphere that fosters piety, obedience and charity throughout the school day.
- Establish regular communication with the pastor regarding the school personnel, programs, issues, and finances.
- Interview, screen, hire, evaluate and terminate the services of school personnel in consultation with the pastor.
- Develop and implement a recruitment plan to grow the school.
- Evaluate all aspects of the school program based on accreditation guidelines.
- Develop annual goals and strategies based on the annual school improvement plan as identified by AdvancED or Diocesan Early Childhood Standards.
- Develop and maintain a communication system to ensure that all official school reports and records are properly maintained and forwarded to appropriate authorities in a timely manner.
- Annually evaluate the overall performance and academic credentials of instructional and non- instructional staff.
- Provide orientation for all staff new to the school.
- Implement the policies outlined in the Diocesan Administrator Handbook
The Principal shall:
- Develop an annual school budget for submission to the Pastor and Parish Finance Council.
- Provide a monthly budget report to the pastor and Parish Finance Council.
- Assist parent(s) in the application for federal or state education monies as applicable.
- Develop programs to involve parents in the activities of the school and parish.
- Implement and maintain school revenue and expenses within the approved operating budget.
- In collaboration with the faculty develop a school discipline plan that aligns with a traditional Catholic education.
- Communicate information regularly to parents and provide appropriate forum to encourage communication and feedback.
- Manage or supervise all school facilities.
- Articulate and monitor implementation of the Diocese of Raleigh Catholic Schools Curriculum Guide and/or Pre-K Curriculum.
- Coordinate the process for requisition of curriculum materials.
- Initiate action to ensure the attainment and maintenance of religious and academic standards consistent with accreditation and Diocesan guidelines.
- Provide staff development for all faculty and staff in the Catholic faith, that promotes professional growth, as well as knowledge of teaching methods, strategies and resources.
- Facilitate and monitor AdvancED or Early Childhood Center accreditation process.
- Facilitate and monitor required testing programs.
- Design class schedules and instructional programs.
- Coordinate remedial and enrichment programs.
- Coordinate federally funded programs.
- Maintain student records/transcripts as described in the Student Section of this Handbook
- A practicing and devout Catholic in good standing with the Catholic Church and dedicated to the apostolate of Catholic education.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in education or similar field.
- A minimum of 7 years of teaching experience.
- A Master’s Degree in education or similar field.
- A minimum of 10 years of teaching experience.
- Ability to obtain North Carolina Principal Certificate/Licensure.
- A minimum of 3 years in school administration.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume a cover letter stating your interest in the position and a personal statement (no more than 2 pages) of your philosophy of Catholic education. The statement should address 1) Catholic formation in education and management, 2) your understanding of the formation of children intellectually, spiritually and morally in a traditional Catholic environment, and 3) how you propose to advance the mission of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic School.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Send application materials to: PrincipalSearch@olphrm.org (PDF format only)
Or by mail to:
OLPH Principal Search Committee
328 Hammond Street Rocky Mount, NC 27804
If you have further inquiries about this position send an email to: PrincipalSearch@olphrm.org.