Home  |  News  |  Events  |  Contact
Meet the people involved in our faith community.
Learn what it means to be a Catholic.
Our parishes, schools, ministries, and centers.
The services we provide and ways to get involved.

News

Diocesan Churches to Conduct Collection for Storm Victims

larger font

The Most Reverend Michael F. Burbidge is directing churches in the Diocese to conduct a special collection the weekend of November 10-11, 2012, or soon thereafter to aid the victims of Hurricane Sandy that struck the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions of the country last weekend.

While New York and New Jersey bore the brunt of the destruction, the storm reached 1,000 miles across, killed more than 105 people in 10 states and knocked out power to 8.5 million homes and businesses. In the immediate aftermath, New York City officials estimated some 40,000 people were in need of shelter. Damage has been estimated at $50 billion, making Sandy the second most expensive storm in U.S. history, behind Hurricane Katrina.

Catholic Charities USA, one of the nation’s largest emergency response organizations, immediately began providing assistance to the affected areas in partnership with other disaster relief organizations and state and local agencies. 

Rev. Larry Snyder, President of CCUSA said, “We are the people on the ground before, during and long-after a disaster strikes, which puts us in a unique position to really understand a community’s needs and makes us an invaluable asset to first responders and our partners.”

In the call for a special collection, Bishop Burbidge said, “While it appears that the areas within the Diocese of Raleigh were spared from the worst effects of the storm, 10 percent of the funds received will be retained for disaster relief efforts within the Diocese. The remaining 90% received will be expeditiously forwarded to Catholic Charities USA, which is coordinating domestic disaster relief efforts.”

“Let us continue to pray that Our Lord Jesus will bless all of us,” the Bishop said, “especially those most in need at this time, with His healing and compassionate love.”