Bishop Burbidge Announces Appointment of Eight Deans
After reviewing recommendations, conducting appropriate discussions and prayerful discernment, the Most Reverend Michael F. Burbidge has announced the appointment of three new Deans and the re-appointment of five current Deans, effective September 1, 2011.
New Deans appointed to a four-year term:
- New Bern – Very Reverend Gregory D. Spencer, Pastor of Annunciation Church, Havelock
- Piedmont – Very Reverend William J. Upah, Pastor of St. James Church, Henderson
- Raleigh – Very Reverend Mark G. Reamer, O.F.M., Pastor of St. Francis of Assisi Church, Raleigh
Deans reappointed for a new four-year term:
- Albemarle – Very Reverend James J. Buchholz, VF, Pastor of Holy Family Church, Elizabeth City
- Cape Fear – Very Reverend Marcos Leon-Angulo, VF, Pastor of Sacred Heart Church, Whiteville
- Fayetteville – Reverend Monsignor Jeffrey A. Ingham, FV, Pastor of St. Anthony of Padua, Southern Pines
- Newton Grove - Very Reverend James F. Garneau, VF, Pastor of St. Mary of the Angels, Mount Olive
- Tar River – Very Reverend Justin Kerber, C. P., VF, Pastor of St. Peter Church, Greenville
A Dean (Vicar Forane) is appointed by the Diocesan Bishop to provide assistance to the Bishop and to be his presence among the faithful in a specific geographic region (Deaneries) of the Diocese. The Diocese of Raleigh has eight Deaneries.
Bishop Burbidge expressed his deep appreciation and gratitude to the following for their service as Deans: Reverend John J. Forbes (Raleigh Deanery), Reverend Ernest J. Ruede (New Bern Deanery), and Reverend Robert Benko, O.F.M., Conv. (Piedmont Deanery).